16 Sept 2008

Food for thought - or a reality check

Today there was a terrible incident in Indonesia, somewhere in East Java. 21 people were killed and dozens more injured in a stampede of around 10000 people - what caused it? The government was giving away money as part of a Ramadan thing (giving packets of cash to the poor). Guess how much money was in each pack

Go on, have a guess.

How much is a human life worth out in Indonesia?

Take a guess.

And another.

OK, I'll tell you.

Each packet contained approximately £1.50

Yep.

One pound and fifty pence.

21 dead.

Think about that for a few minutes.

On a lighter note I just had an amazingly strange week out shooting with Adam, as he randomly called me and asked me to step in somebodys shoes. So off we shot to Langkawi for a week. It was the beach that I took mum and dad to visit for the afternoon (remember mum? The nice one with the sticky uppy islands not far off and it was far too hot for me to sit in the sun that day, so you and dad had a swim). Well we ended up staying in the 5 star resort there, and the Producer managed to convince the resort manager to let us have all food and drink for free (except the mini-bar, but go down to the hotel bar ok, so I did, a few times). Oh and room service too.

Thus I have been pampered, and the job was really easy, in fact just a mad holiday really. And we got to go out to a mangrove swamp n'all. I haven't any photos, but some of the crew got some and are going to send them on to me.

It was all a bit random, and the randomness was slightly amplified by a continuous hangover (read above for reasons).

Love to all

No comments: