14 Mar 2007

My time is running short in Malaysia

I've been getting emails from the Wexford guys this week, which means that the system is all getting fired up - and by the rates of pay those guys command it can only mean one thing. I'm coming home soon.
This past week or more has been a bit all over the place really, lots of going back and forth to work, we've been on a location recce for the next film, I bought a lovely shiny laptop (ooooh), operated the camera for a whole day of auditions for the new cast of this next film, got a part in the film, lost the part in the film the next day because of a script re-write, got offered the job of editor for the next film but had to turn it down because I'm coming home so soon (waaaaahhh, such a nightmare that one, my dreams come true but I've had to put it on hold cos of past commitments - and the eternal quest for money), went out for a really nice meal on Saturday night with the Chia family and friends, organised a party, cancelled the party, started to remaster the audio on a previous TV movie because it was rubbish, played computer games and took a trip one night to Putra Jaya (one of the worlds most pointless cities, utterly devoid of any soul whatsover - second only in functionality and "asthetics", in my experience to Milton Keynes).
So as ever life is pretty hectic, and yet I've managed to squeeze in a few beers and a couple of hours of laying down in my hammock with cups of tea.

All this and still breathing.

As for this next movie (TV movie at least) it's called Jalan Berangan, which translates as Dream Street/Road. It's going to be filmed in residential streets in the heart of KL, around a mad chinese area directly in the shadow of loads of skyscrapers and all the newest developments is a fairly dirty looking spot with lots of clothes hanging out in gardens and on balconies (with stripy ornings). It should be a great job to work on. It's all about a Malay guy who gets all depressed and generally has a very gloomy time of things and various other bits and bobs involving colourful characters and scenarios. It's not going to be a big cheesy slapstick fiasco like the last one, it looks like it might even have a degree of content and delivery. Marvellous.
I'm not entirely sure, not confirmed yet, but I might be the sound recordist on set - mainly due to the fact that I've been cursing the poor quality of audio on the last 2 films they've done and now they're going to make me eat my words and make it better. Well I suppose it's the classic adage - if you want summert doin proper, do it the sen.

As far as career moves go I think coming to KL is one of the best ideas I've ever had. Here I've got a million possibilities, I can move around and act as a consultant (both technical and artistic) to the growing visual arts industry here. I have the chance to actually contribute properly to a broadcast company and my ideas are listened to because I've often got the right solutions. In a few years time I'll be writing and directing my own productions here, wheras at home I'd be spending an eternity as a lackey to an established machine of tedium. I've already started writing a screen play for a comedy idea we've hit upon and if it's good enough then there is every possibility it will get funded and filmed.
OK so the censorship here is pretty high, but I can work around that I'm sure.

Enough ramblings, I've got a bit of a headache but I just thought I'd pour some of this out - it is a blog after all.
I'll post some more photos soon, so you don't all get tired of this endless text.

ps: anyone wants to email me its
tim_doughty@hotmail.com

hint.

No comments: