1 Jun 2008

Just watched the new Indiana Jones movie

Helo all, yes me and the good lady have just been freezing our respective nipples off watching the new Indiana Jones film, and it was alright. Not bad for an old fella like, but the soppy wedding at the end was just a bit, well, weird, watching wrinklies play tonsil hockey in front of a load of other wrinklies - it's enough to put you off your dinner, and god only knows what damage it could do to the minds of the young. Shame Kate Blanchett is about as convincing a Russian as I am a Bangkok chick-boy (and I was ultimately confused by her supposedly being some psy-corps type Babylon 5 sytle psycho-kinetic woman able to open the door of Area 51 with a flick of her hand from 20 paces in the opening scenes and from then on posessing nothing in the way of psychic powers for the whole rest of the film, but then again I got really really confused when the inter-dimensional portal opened up in the Mayan temple and the alien crystal dudes flew off in a spaceship, not to space, but to "the space between spaces" and it all turned, well, what is the best word? Erm, crap?).

So there we go, Vanessa failed to understand my excitement and desire to go "doo do doo dooo, doo doo doooooo" etc and jump around cracking my imaginary bullwhip, as it was just a good old fashioned pile of turd. Too heavy on the self referencing, and Indys illigitimate son was an utter waste of space, a pathetic wimpy little fart of an actor, who was supposed to be some tough-guy style 1950s teddyboy a la Johnny T in Grease, with less character than John Mayor and less depth than Posh Spice.

Yes, I am a little dissappointed, and now I remember why I don't really go to the cinema anymore, namely because its a waste of money (and in this country its so sodding cold that they actually offer Gold Class expensive tickets with a blanket. A BLANKET!!! WHY NOT TURN THE AIRCON DOWN YOU IDIOTS!!!!)

On another note I witnessed my first police raid in a nightclub last night, which was utterly surreal and annoyingly expensive. Literally a case of enter club, pay 40 rinngit (6 quid), 2 minutes later policeman shines torch in face, lights on, music off, everybody show your ID. Being white it wasn't bad at all, as myself and my Croatian mate Boris were led out by Vanessa and Cheng and they didn't even look twice at us. Problem is the pigs were just out to persecute the Malays who were having fun, what with them being born Islamic and unable to excersise the most fundamental write of self determination. So, pity the poor underage Malay drinkers, and pity even more the ones that had taken drugs (and during the few minutes with the lights on I could see more than a dozen very scared faces in the crowd) god knows what happened to them, very possibly sent to a re-education camp - read religious indoctrination - if they didn't have the cash to bribe their way out of it.
Shame though because the music was very decent, and it cost me bloody 40 dollars for 2 minutes. I went back later and started chewing the Bouncers, demanding a refund. I asked him who his boss was, so he pointed to a bloke, so I started chewing his head, anyway I asked where I was supposed to get my refund, and should I go to Bukit Aman (police headquarters) and demand it back, he laughed. Told me he couldn't do anything, police matter, so I demanded ot see his boss, "who is your boss?", "oh, chief constable whoever". Oh your police, yes, erm, ha ha ha, sorry about that I thought you were staff. Not impressed face, but Timbo scores another minor point against the facists, yeah, eat my demeaning comment porker.
Bizarrely the club accross the road was playing similar music, had a lot more people (numbers wise the same amount of Malays, but in a much lower percentage due to more people)and we danced there until 3am with no bother. I think it was a matter of concentration, thusly raiding the one club instead of the other means the same amount of bribe money with much less effort. So nice of them isn't it.

So there we are, dissapointed by Indiana Jones, but at least I got to fire a minor insult at a corrupt killjoy oppressor of fun and it only cost me 40 dollars (plus cinema ticket).

Oh and my hand still hurts.

Love to all, I'm going up to Cameron Highlands tomorrow to meet a new interviewee who lives right next to the Tea Plantations, so lets hope my bus doesn't fall several thousand feet down the hill like that one the other week. Any prayers welcomed.

No comments: