22 Mar 2008

At last, you get to watch my first adverts innit

Now I have had chance to put my adverts onto Youtube. The ones what I was producer of. Yes, this is my first offering to the sick world of advertising. I'm not proud. But have a look.
My favourite is the Hot FM, frankly I think Fly FM is quite poo.

Here's a breakdown of Hot FMs malay so that you understand it
"Tidak" = No
"Sarang" = Attack
"Anda terkena panggilan hangit" = You have been prank called/You've recieved a hot call
"Setiap Isnin - Juma'at" = Monday to Friday

So, as I say the content wasn't my choice, for some reason the radio station thinks it's funny to prank call people in the morning. But what with Malaysias very strict censorship they can't actually say anything funny. To me a prank call is something along the lines of phoning a married man and saying

"hello is that Mr ?. Yes hello I'm calling from ? police station, we'd like you to some in for questioning regarding a double homicide" then proceed to tell him that it's his wife and kid that have been butchered.
Now that's funny right? When he breaks down in tears, says he's going to end it all, weeps uncontrollably and then you go "ha ha ha only joking"
Right? That's real comedy. No, these people phone up and say "I'm doing a survey, do you mind telling me how much you earn. Oh wow so much, can I borrow a few hundred, oh go on, you've got loads, please? Just 50 then" etc until you fall asleep at the wheel. Then of course the guy says "anda terkena panggilan hangit" and the man on the phone laughs like you just told the worlds most amazing joke.
It's kind of sweet that Malay people will laugh at anything, but that's the process of years of only being allowed to watch slapstick comedy because anything slightly intelligent/satirical might break the bonds of your religious and political indoctrination. In fact I'd go so far as to say Malays are a bit like homosexuals - as in they'll laugh at anything no matter how brainless (ie: graham norton)

Now that I have a youtube account and have figured out how to upload stuff and get it on here (yes, I am a computer luddite I know it well enough) then you can expect more such gubbins as I make it. I'm working on my new showreel and I got a few other bits and bobs to get uploaded here - but some of them are too long so i need to make trimmed down web versions for your viewing pleasure.

As for my poll, it has answered a few questions for me. Namely that ONLY my family members ever read this blog, because nobody I know over here would ever consider eating a marmite sandwhich over their own feet.
ho hum

1 comment:

Bev said...

Let me just say that:
1) I got a massive shock when I came across this new format - thought you had up and left blogging until I saw the word 'innit'
2) Marmite is lovely