25 Mar 2008

Work begins on my first Documentary Film

I am now well and truly geared up to make my first documentary. I just had a meeting with a bloke who used to be an MP who knows a lot about the story I'm making. It turns out his mother used to know the woman the story is about and he's going to ask her to do an interview for me. He's also going to be an interviewee and it's possible he has the email address of a lost family member, who now lives in America. So he's going to ask her if she is willing to get in touch with me.
Tomorrow I'm going north into Perak to meet with my main contact, Mr Law Siak Hong, who owns the house where my story takes place (and has turned it into a memorial/museum to the events the film is about), I also get to meet the last surviving family memeber (a lady who is now 87 years old) and we're going to take her off to the beach for the afternoon and try and convince her that I'm actually a nice guy and not a journalist vulture (yes, convincing her I'm a nice guy may be a bit of a hard task, but I always like a challenge, never know all those years of acting lessons might finally pay off).
I have secured the services of a friend of mine, an excellent Director of Photography (who has shoots for Discovery channel and National Geograohic amonst many others in his portfolio), who makes beautiful pictures and has a beautiful camera, Panasonic P2 which shoots in full 1080HD (and has very large CCD chips that are a broadcast quality in UK and USA). He's going to bring along his 35mm adaptor and box of Nikon 35mm lenses, so we going to shoot this in the proper stylee and not just rock up with a standard fixed lens like a lot of documentarys. Yes indeed, he's convinced a lot of good crew members to do the job for free, and he's providing his services for free too - well, as a profit share if we ever manage to sell it. I've got in touch with an english bloke who has an audio studio here, and used to work for BBC and ITV, who is very interested in the project. I got to pay this fellah cos he has overheads, but he's willing to give me a very nice discount and provide other services (editing etc) for free because he likes the project.
Yes indeed, I should write a book "the art of blagging" and it would make millions.

I'll let you know how my trip to Perak goes in a few days, and provide you with some lovely photos of me with jolly nice people getting our teeth into a proper meaty project. Watch this space, this is the first of many projects in this realm I assure you.

Everybody say "Mat Salleh Boleh!!!"

No comments: